Wednesday, December 27, 2017

THE BEST OF 2017 - The Best ROCK Of The Year


- 2017 was an interesting and hopeful year for rock n' roll, but a sad one as well. First, let me talk about Tom Petty. Petty is up there for me as one of my favorite musical artists of all time - and I know that's true for many of you as well. And so his loss was very, very hard to take ... and I'm still feeling it a few months later. Somehow, as fate would have it, my brother and I ended up seeing his final concert ever, at the Hollywood Bowl in September. I'd seen Petty a few times before, but this one was, I think, special for many reasons. It was, in my view, one hell of a show. Here's what I wrote on Facebook after hearing of Petty's passing:

" ... I am devastated to hear that Tom Petty has passed away. My brother and I just saw him and the Heartbreakers put on an amazing show this past Monday night at the Hollywood Bowl. And he is one of my all-time favorite musicians. He had a moment right as I was becoming an MTV junkie and a classic rock fan in the early 90's and "Mary Jane's Last Dance" came out. I loved that song and that video. I still do. It took me down a rabbit hole of Tom Petty's greatest hits - the kind of songs that, not to sound too cheesy, are just quintessential "life-soundtrack" songs. Iconic, yes - but also the songs of a hard-working, blue-collar man - an eternal wanderer who scraped and clawed his way through life. He broke down, free-fell out into nothing, learned to fly, and wouldn't back down. He taught us that "even the losers get lucky sometimes." I was lucky to see Tom Petty in concert several times - all in the LA-area that was popularized by so many of his songs. When I first moved here, I knew many an LA location from a Tom Petty lyric. I've bought every new Tom Petty album sight-unseen for years. His songs told stories, and I always wanted to hear them. They were stories from a man who knew that life could be hard, but also knew that there just might be a light at the end of the tunnel. Last Monday night was a celebration of 40 Years of Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers. Petty gave his trademark, enthusiastic "thank you - thank you all very much" after each round of applause. The band was still damn good, the best in the biz. Hearing those songs live - it was amazing every time. They were the human experience. I will never get tired of those songs, or their lyrics, or their stories. I am just sad that their brilliant creator is no longer with us."

There were some big losses this year in the rock world - from Tom Petty to Malcolm Young of AC/DC to Chester Bennington of Linkin Park. Chris Cornell of Soundgarden. And the godfather of rock himself - the legendary Chuck Berry. 

And yet ... there was some exciting new blood that came to fill the void and keep the rock n' roll torch burning. I'll talk about them more below, but hearing the amazing first album from Greta Van Fleet was a moment. These guys sound like the second coming of Led Zeppelin, and they're just barely out of their teens. It was awesome to see them enjoy strong commercial success as well. Yeah, I know - no one ever wants to see their favorite band make it big. But rock music needs some wins, and it needs to be heard. So this was cool. 

In addition to Tom Petty's final show, I saw some other memorable concerts this year as well. I saw a dream concert in Queen. Sure, the frontman was Adam Lambert and not Freddie Mercury - but Lambert surprised me with how great he was, and it was truly incredible to see the legendary Brian May and Roger Taylor perform so many iconic songs live. I never thought I'd get the chance. I saw Metallica for the first time ever, and had a blast rocking out to their hits and new stuff at the Rose Bowl. I also saw Green Day at the Rose Bowl - as the band once again re-affirmed that they're one of the all-time best live acts. I saw The Scorpions (an all-time favorite) with opening band Megadeth, the Red Hot Chili Peppers for a second time, and even a nostalgia-fueled show put on by Styx and REO Speedwagon. In a year that was tough on many levels, music was an escape - it was a call to arms, an inspiration, and a reminder of what unites us.

So here are my top rock picks of the year. And here's hoping for a rockin' 2018.


DANNY'S TOP ROCK SONGS OF 2017:


1.) Greta Van Fleet - "Black Smoke Rising" / "Safari Song"

-  I could honestly list just about every song from Greta Van Fleet's debut album, From the Fires, here and call it a day. It's one of the few albums of the last several years where I can simply say: if you're at all a rock fan, just go buy it immediately, and you will probably love it. This is just a concentrated blast of straight-up rock n' roll. It immediately calls to mind Zeppelin, but there are some dashes of Rush and other prog bands in there as well as moments that give the classic-sounding tunes a more modern twist. That said, everything from the album art to the song lyrics evoke times past - and there is an immediate comfort level with these songs. But they are so damn good, you can't write them off as mere homage. My two favorites are the opening track, "Safari Song" and the closer, "Black Smoke Rising" - as strong a one-two-punch as we've seen on any rock album in a long while. But it's just a great album from top to bottom - all fist-pumpers, toe-tappers, and songs ready-made to sing along to - no filler at all. I don't know, maybe I'm reading too much into it, but to me there's something poignant about a new generation rediscovering rock n' roll at a time, arguably, when it is needed most. As GvF sings on "Black Smoke Rising" - "Many people are dividing / And a world apart / With just one heart / Is bound to keel and fade away." And so let there be rock.

2.) Alice Cooper - "Paranormal" / "Paranoiac Personality"

- And then there was Alice Cooper - the last rock legend standing. I'm a longtime Alice Cooper fan, but I went on a deep dive through his extensive catalog this year and discovered gems like the drugged-out new wave album Flush the Fashion. I am continually amazed at how Cooper has evolved over the years and how he's made great music in so many rock subgenres. All the while, here in 2017, he's still putting out great new music. His latest album, "Paranormal," is legit great - full of fun, often darkly funny songs that span a variety of styles - from straight-up rockers to rockabilly and blues. The opening track, "Paranormal," is an atmospheric, horror-tinged tune that should make next year's Halloween playlist. "Paranoiac Personality" is a great classic-sounding rock song that is the album highlight. Cooper still rocks, and thank god for that.

3.) Paramore - "Hard Times"

- Paramore long ago stopped being a hard-rocking alternative rock band. And yeah, that's sort of a shame. But there's also no denying that Hayley Williams and company have become one hell of a pop-rock band, putting out catchy, dance-ready anthems that always bring something a little different to the table. And that's why "Hard Times" is so great - it's got some layers, lyrically and sonically. It rises above the pack.

4.) The Killers - "The Man" 

- Speaking of ultra-catchy pop-rock, it was nice to finally have The Killers back in 2017. While I didn't love their latest album overall, I did quickly take to their song "The Man' - a satirical dance-rock tune that brings The Killer's trademark future-disco sound to a different sort of song than what we're used to from them. 

5.) The Darkness - "Japanese Prisoner of Love" / "Happiness"

- I love The Darkness, so I always have super high expectations for their new albums. Overall, their latest felt like a slight letdown vs. their previous output - whereas I've unequivocally loved all the previous Darkness albums from top to bottom, Pinewood Smile was a mixed bag. Some songs were great, vintage Darkness. Others felt a bit phoned it, and a bit *too* cheeky for their own good. The band has always toed the line between serious homage to classic rock and winking parody, but something like "$&%%ing Out Solid Gold" definitely felt like a step too far. That said - there are some real standouts. First is the fast, loud, and utterly kickass rocker "Japanese Prisoner of Love," - one of the most metal tunes the band has yet put out. Second is "Happiness," - an 80's-style fist-pumper that reminded me of classic Cars. 

6.) The Foo Fighters - "The Sky Is a Neighborhood" 

- The Foo Fighters are now the old reliable engine of the rock world - a band that's managed to stay on top and keep churning out hit albums that rarely disappoint. Personally, I've definitely grown a bit tired of the band over the last several years - the songs started sounding same-y, and it had been a while since I felt like they'd delivered a true classic. But this year, the Foo's won me back a bit. Maybe it was them jamming out on Jimmy Kimmel this Halloween with Alice Cooper, backing him up on The Ballad of Dwight Fry. Maybe it was Dave Grohl patching up old wounds and rocking with Slash on stage. And maybe it was partly the pretty exceptional songs on their latest album, which reminded me that the band can indeed be pretty great. "The Sky Is a Neighborhood" is my favorite track from the album - an epic rocker that builds and builds towards a huge sing-along chorus. Good stuff. 

7.) Kesha (featuring The Eagles of Death Metal) - "Let 'Em Talk"

- You've got to love Kesha (now sans dollar sign). Aside from making some ridiculously fun dance-pop songs over the years, she's also a woman who knows how to rock. Over the years, she's collaborated on songs with the likes of Alice Cooper and Iggy Pop - and her latest album features a pair of songs created with The Eagles of Death Metal. "Let 'Em Talk" is an instantly likable tune - fast, fun, and insanely catchy. And it continues her album Rainbow's powerful message of empowerment. After going through hell with all of the Dr. Luke stuff, after being prevented for years from making new music - Kesha's triumphant return is one of the year's best comeback stories, and something every music fan can get behind. Let 'em talk indeed.

8.) U2 - "The Blackout"

- Similar to the Foo Fighters, its easy to take the always-prolific U2 for granted. But after giving their latest album, Songs of Experience, a listen-through, I found it to be really solid. It's got some great songs. My favorite is "Blackout" - a pretty epic rock track that's got a pointed political message, but doesn't sacrifice anything musically to put it out there. The song's got killer guitar riffs and a clap-along chorus that's got that trademark U2 sense of scale. I dig it.

9.) Charly Bliss - "Westermark"

- It seems like late 90's / early 00's-style pop-punk might be making a little bit of a comeback. And that's a good thing - I mean, who doesn't miss the days when bands like Sugarcult, Wheatus, etc. were on every college freshman's must-download-on-Napster list? In any case, if you're jonesing for a burst of Veruca Salt-esque female-led pop-punk, Charly Bliss is your ticket. The infectious bubblegum rock of "Westermark" is like hanging out with an old college friend. 

10.) Alice Merton - "No Roots"

- This one is getting a lot of radio play of late, and it's easy to see why. It's a dark, sort of haunting, yet very catchy song with a great beat - that also happens to feel very of-the-moment. Alice Merton's deep voice combines with a progressively more complex techno-beat to create something very unique sounding that stands out from the pack. "I've got no ROOTS!"

No comments:

Post a Comment