Thursday, December 29, 2022

THE BEST OF 2022 - The Best ROCK Of The Year

 

- When I look back at 2022, it will in many ways be a tale of two halves of a year. Going into 2022, it felt like, after multiple years of pandemic-induced precautions, things might finally be getting back to some degree of normalcy. There were so many things I was looking forward to finally doing again this year - and of course, a big part of that included concert-going.

I had seen some great shows in 2021, but I started 2022 out with a bang by seeing my first ever Sparks concert. I had become an instant fan after seeing Edgar Wright's Sparks Brothers documentary, and I could not wait to see them in person. The February show - at the Walt Disney Concert Hall in LA -  did not disappoint. The legendary Mael brothers who comprise the band were as amazing as ever, putting on an amazing, career-spanning show. Later, in April, I once again saw one of my all-time favorites, Alice Cooper, in concert at the Greek theater in LA. The concert would prove historic - as it was one of the final Alice shows featuring guitar virtuoso Nita Strauss, who I'd also become a huge fan of over the years. Nita would leave the band that summer to pursue solo efforts, but man, I'm glad I got to see her play with Alice Cooper one more time. In May, I saw the memorable musical Hadestown - featuring songs that evoked classic folk and blues music. In June, I was seemingly recovered from a rough bout with COVID and feeling ready to rock (literally and metaphorically) once again. I saw an incredible "Weird" Al Yankovic show that once again saw Al forego playing his parody hits in favor of original songs and rarities. It was great to see the legendary Al in concert again, and after some major bumps in the road with COVID, things were looking up.

Until they weren't. In early July some of my nagging, lingering COVID symptoms erupted into full-on Long COVID. I suffered debilitating vertigo attacks that then morphed into persistent dizziness, and then into lightheadedness. My blood pressure spiked, I got weird rashes and muscle/joint pains, and had strange bouts of blurry vision. And that, unfortunately, has been the crazy reality that's characterized the second half of my 2022. I wasn't able to go into the office, congregate with friends, or even drive. Through the ups and downs of my ongoing symptoms, I tried my best to still go out when I could. In September, I somehow made it to a live production of Jagged Little Pill - based on the Alanis Morissette album of the same name - at the Pantages theater. And it was fantastic. But overall, I've been very limited these last several months. And I struggled at times to keep my spirits up when so much seemed to be working against me. 

And that, as always, is where music played a huge role for me. I remember the moment I got the latest Interrupters album and gave it a listen. During the height of my Long COVID issues, I heard their song "Jailbird" - and the punk rock anthem felt like the perfect song for that moment. "Strung out adrenaline junkie / My heart pounds, but I look like a zombie / There's wires crossed inside my brain / And broken tracks lead to runaway trains." It's amazing how the right music can take a melancholy feeling and turn it into a rebellious rallying cry. There's some kind of alchemy there that works magic - that lifts us up, inspires us, and energizes us to scream, scratch, claw, and fight no matter how tired we may be. This past year we lost the rock icon Meat Loaf (following last year's loss of his legendary collaborator, Jim Steinman). I always joked that Meat Loaf's songs were so epic that they could make even doing laundry feel like an adventure. Such is the power of a great song. So yeah - long live the spirit of rock n' roll. And as always, for those about to rock: I salute you.


DANNY'S TOP ROCK SONGS OF 2022:


1.) The Interrupters - "Jailbird"

- I've been a huge fan of The Interrupters for years now, and I'm eternally grateful that they help to keep 90's/00's-style punk rock alive and well, while still experimenting and evolving. Their latest album In the Wild was another strong entry in their canon, but "Jailbird," to me, was the standout song. As I mention above, it's a simple fist-pumping punk anthem that nevertheless contains some affecting lyrics that speak to the moment we're in. Dealing with our own health and wellbeing. Trying to get our minds and bodies to function properly. It can all be a lot, but this song turns the despair into a rallying cry.


2.) The Interrupters - "Raised By Wolves"

- One more from The Interrupters. "Raised By Wolves" is a bit less uptempo than a typical Interrupters song, and that speaks to the continued evolution of the band that I mention above. But yeah, this song is one of the band's best - a clearly personal reflection on coming up in hard times and having to fend for yourself and find your own pack. Singer Aimee Allen's soulful wolf-cries are the icing on the cake.

 

3.) Billy Idol - "Cage"

- Yes, seriously. 80's legend Billy Idol had a new album this year, and it contained some genuinely incredible songs - chief among them "Cage," an absolutely banging rocker that will have you pumping your fist in the air like it's 1985. Idol's more grizzled sound - an inevitability of age - only adds to the primal power of this one.


4.) Mike Campbell and the Dirty Knobs - "Electric Gypsy"

- The 2017 death of the great Tom Petty still haunts me ... but this year I took comfort that key members of The Heartbreakers are still out there, making great classic rock music just like old times. Petty's legendary guitarist Mike Campbell has his own band now, and they put out one heck of an album this year. Check out "Electric Gypsy" for some down n' dirty, blues-y rock that just never goes out of style.


5.) Paramore - "This Is Why"

- Yes, part of me still laments the fact that Paramore moved so far away from their harder-edged hard rock roots. But there's no denying that "This Is Why" is a fantastic alt-rock/dance-rock tune that would get any bar or club (or personal at-home dance party) hopping. Hayley Williams belts out the uber-catchy chorus with aplomb - it's a party anthem for the stay-at-home era.


6.) The Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "Burning"

- The Yeah Yeah Yeahs released their first new album in several years in 2022, and there appears to be no ring-rust, so to speak. Their music is as atmospheric and immersive as ever, ready-made for epic movie trailer montages and the like. "Burning" is one of those new songs that feels like it's already existed for decades.


7.) Scorpions - "Rock Believer"

- Somehow, Scorpions just keep on truckin', delivering awesome new arena-ready rock anthems year after year, decade after decade. While some may dismiss the band as 80's relics, the fact is that they never really stopped putting out great new rock music. In 2022, we got yet another new Scorpions album - and while not, as a whole, a classic - it does contain at least one certified new classic in "Rock Believer." A bit cheesy? Sure. But in these dark times I'll gladly take a bit of cheese with my crazy-burger.


8.) Ghost - "Darkness at the Heart of My Love"

- Ghost has really emerged as one of my favorite modern rock bands - a weird but potent mix of Smashing Pumpkins goth-metal and 80's-style over-the-top arena rock. "Darkness at the Heart of My Love" has that goth-horror tinge for sure, but at its heart it's a good, old-fashioned, slow-building 80's-style power ballad. So get ready to pump your fist and play some air guitar along with this one.


9.) Falling in Reverse - "Zombified"

- This year, the WWE wrestler formerly known as Paige - now going by her given name of Saraya - made her long-awaited return to the wrestling ring for ring for rival AEW. Her grand entrance was made all the more epic by the kickass rock song that accompanied it, and I was immediately curious about this new entrance theme. Turns out, it's a new song from band Falling in Reverse - and it rules. All you need is that opening growl of "zombified!" to know you're about to get rocked.


10.) Avril Lavigne - "Love Sux"

- It's no secret that I've long had a soft spot for Avril Lavigne's brand of brash, bratty pop-punk - and this year she came out with a legitimately great new album that was a return to 2000's-era Avril that was sure to give Millennials everywhere a rush of nostalgia. "Love Sux" is maybe my favorite from the new album, a ridiculously shameless rock song with lyrics like "let's play a game of tic-tac-toe /
I'ma go and make all my exes say 'Oh." If that kind of stuff is your jam, then yeah, Avril came through for you in a big way in 2022.

No comments:

Post a Comment