Saturday, December 30, 2023

THE BEST OF 2023 - The Best ROCK Of The Year

 

 

- As I faced the reality in 2023 that my struggles with Long COVID might truly be, well, a longterm thing ... I began to face the music that I was going to have to test myself a bit and see to what extent I was still able to do the things I love most. Early in the year, I'd purchased a few sets of concert tickets for the winter, hoping that I'd be recovered by then (and that these would therefore be celebratory affairs) - but knowing that that may not necessarily be the case. As it turns out, I was still very much dealing with Long COVID by the time these concerts approached. But I decided to go, to give it a shot. If needed, I could always leave and call it a failed experiment. Somehow, through a combination of improved coping techniques, medications, and luck, I made it through both relatively okay and, ultimately, had a great time. I saw KISS at the Hollywood Bowl in one of their last concerts ever. I saw Queen + Adam Lambert at the Bank of America Stadium in what turned out to be a show for the ages. My first concerts in a year and a half. And it was great to be back out there getting caught up in the fun and the power of great live music - seeing two legendary, all-time-favorite bands who I was happy to catch one more time while they were still touring.

Music once again helped me persevere and get through another tough year. 

That said, I'll admit that I had to do some digging when it came to compiling this list. As December rolled around, I realized I didn't have a lot of songs mentally filed away as new, definitive favorites from the year that was. That's where the fun part comes in though - digging through 2023's new rock releases and seeing what I'd missed, what really hit me upon a fresh listen, and what new artists were worth including on the list.

So here we go ...


DANNY'S TOP ROCK SONGS OF 2023:


1.) The Rolling Stones - "Angry"

- I know, I know. Even I can barely believe it. A song by The Rolling Stones as my #1 of 2023? What year is this, people? But every time I revisited this absolute banger of a rock song, I realized that it absolutely deserves the spot. It is, improbably, a new classic by one of the great rock bands - a song that sits nicely right alongside their all-time classics. Timeless yet modern. It completely rocks. It even has a great music video too (featuring Sydney Sweeney). The Stones made a statement in this year.


2.) Green Day - "Look Ma, No Brains!" / "The American Dream Is Killing Me"

- Is the Green Day I know and love finally back? It's looking that way. The punk band's latest singles - ahead of next year's new album release - are a welcome flashback to the American Idiot era: scathing, sneering indictments of the dumb, depressing state of the world. I'm including two of their songs here, because both are excellent, both rock, and both make me happy that this Green Day has returned when, my god, we need 'em most.


3.) Foo Fighters - "Rescued"

- Foo Fighters, at their best, have a way of creating songs that feel like long-treasured classics upon first listen. "Rescued," released in the wake of Taylor Hawkins' untimely death, is one of those songs. Hard-driving, catchy, and ultimately mournful ... it's a Foo Fighters song for the ages.

 
4.) Olivia Rodrigo - "get him back!" / "all-american bitch"
 
- Lest you think this list is all aging rockers, let me say: I am thankful for Olivia Rodrigo and her embrace of 2000's-era pop-punk aesthetics. Channeling vintage Avril Lavigne, Rodrigo's more rocking songs perfectly encapsulate timeless teenage rage. "get him back" is a catchy-af anthem, while "all-american bitch" is a cheeky pop-punk ballad that feels like something old meets something new.


5.) Bleachers - "Modern Girl"

- While I can't say I've always been a fan of his, I really dig when Jack Antonoff - as he is with his band Bleachers - is in Bruce Springsteen tribute mode. "Modern Girl" is a rollicking, E-Street Band esque jam that can't help but lift your spirits and make you want to get up and sing along.


6.) blink-182 - "Anthem Pt. 3" / "When We Were Young" / "Fell In Love"

- For us aging Elder Millennials, Blink 182's 2023 reunion was a big deal and a total nostalgia trip. But as it turns out, the band's comeback album was surprisingly ... freaking awesome. To the point where pretty much every song on the album rocks, and I couldn't decide which one to include here. "Anthem Pt. 3" is 100 mph vintage Blink. "When We Were Young" is goofy nostalgia that you can't help but find endearing. "Fell In Love" has a similar wistful tone, and is just a really great song.


7.) Sum 41 - "Landmines"

- Speaking of 2000's-era pop-punk comebacks - Sum-by-god-41 had an absolutely killer new song in 2023. "Landmines" rules. It's a thrashing pop-punk anthem that maintains the band's youthful aggression, even as a grizzled edge creeps into the vocals and lyrics as well. This is great stuff though. Who would have thought?

 

8.) Gunship - "Monster in Paradise"

- I became a big fan of synthwave rock band Gunship a few years ago, and have been catching up on their catalog since. They came out with a new album this year, and its packed with cool cameos from Gavin Rossdale to John Carpenter himself. "Monster in Paradise" even has a killer sax solo by 80's legend Tim Capello (of Lost Boys the movie fame). Anyways, this song makes you feel like you're cruising through Blade Runner's cyberpunk LA, watching the neon-soaked streets from your flying car. What more do you need?

9.) lovelytheband - "Sail Away"

- "Sail Away" was one of those songs that I felt like I heard constantly this year. It was everywhere. And yet ... I couldn't be too annoyed by it, because it's a really great earworm of a song. A chilled-out rocker with an extremely catchy chorus and lyrics. I'll be curious if the interestingly-named lovelytheband sticks around. They've got something here.


10.) Guns N' Roses - "Perhaps"

- We've had some random new GnR songs come our way over the last several years, but "Perhaps" is the first one that feels like it would be right at home on Use Your Illusion. Axl Rose's vocals are in fine form, Slash sounds like Slash, and there's an epic quality that personifies what makes GnR one of the greatest rock bands of all time. More like this please.


Honorable Mentions:

- U2 - "Atomic City"
- Almost Monday - "Sun Keeps on Shining"
- Dirty Honey - "Won't Take Me Alive"
- Dolly Parton - "World On Fire"
- Alice Cooper - "White Line Frankenstein"

No comments:

Post a Comment