Tuesday, December 29, 2020

THE BEST OF 2020 - The Best ROCK Of The Year

 


- Continuing what will be a recurring theme of this year's Best of 2020 posts ... 2020, it must be said, was a strange year. Because of COVID-19, it was a year (mostly) without concerts and live music. It was a year where we were all stuck at home. It was a year where almost nothing went according to plan.

The last live concert I saw was in February. My amazing girlfriend Rebecca and I went to the Microsoft Theater in downtown LA to see the annual 80's Weekend show (it's an annual show, but this was my first!) - featuring dozens of bands who made their name in the most radical of decades. It was a ton of fun - I saw some of my favorites of the era live for the first time. From bands I am genuinely a big fan of like Missing Persons, to one-hit wonders (okay, in some cases three-hit wonders) like Wang Chung, Josie Cotton, Flock of Seagulls, Dramarama, Big Country, Violent Femmes, and The Romantics. The closer was none other than MC Hammer himself - a bit of an outlier in the lineup (especially given that I think of him as more of an early 90's star) - but man, I was an MC Hammer *fanatic* as a young kid, so it was cool to once again get "2 Legit 2 Quit." And by the way, MC Hammer was actually the first big concert I ever attended as a kid - so it was definitely a full-circle moment. I guess if things never get better, pandemic-wise, it would be a weird irony if somehow my first and last concerts both featured Hammer.

And then, things just ... stopped. When things got bad in March, I had tickets to see a bunch of live shows later in the year - Alice Cooper, a live performance of Hamilton at the Pantages theater ... and sadly, one by one, they were all cancelled (along with other planned 2020 events like The Paley Fest, WonderCon, and Comic-Con ...).

Even so, music was a big part of my quarantine survival strategy. Music helped me to concentrate while working, writing, and exercising. It helped me to relax, whether I was chilling out at home or driving to nowhere in particular. It helped to funnel my anger at the insane politics of this year, and motivated me to do what I could to "fight the power," scream to the rafters that #BlackLivesMatter, and push for change to whatever extent that I could. In fact, for me (and I suspect many), one of the best musical moments of the year came on a Saturday night in November - watching Joe Biden's big victory speech on TV. After the speech, a medley of songs played as fireworks boomed in the night sky. Tom Petty's "I Won’t Back Down" began to play, and man, was that a great moment. It was then that the battle of the last four years finally felt over - at least for a bit. We could pause, reflect, breathe, and take a moment to remember those we'd lost along the way.

So with that said, here are my top rock songs of 2020. A mix of long-established stalwarts and newer acts, this was a year where hearing new music from old favorites was certainly welcome. To that end, this year saw great new music from the likes of AC/DC, Springsteen, and McCartney. It also saw the reunion of one of my favorite recent rock acts, Foxy Shazam. And it saw a flood of pandemic-inspired songs meant to inspire and rally us - some worked, some didn't.

Here's to a better 2021 filled with concerts, live shows, and lots of rock.



DANNY'S TOP ROCK SONGS OF 2020:


1.) Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band - "Ghosts"

- The Boss has always been a chronicler of hard times, and there were no harder times than 2020. In a year when so many were in denial, when so many seemed so removed from the plight that this country was in, from the hurt people were feeling - here was Springsteen to guide us towards the light. I'm no diehard Bruce fan - casual at best - but every so often one of his songs just really soars and speaks to the moment, and this year that song was Ghosts. We are here, we are alive, and we will get back to where we were and where we can be. 


2.) AC/DC - "Witch's Spell"

- AC/DC has been a constant in the world of rock for decades upon decades - but it seemed that their long trek across the highway to hell might finally be coming to an end. The death of Malcolm Young and the health issues of Brian Johnson forced the band to cancel their tour several years ago and stay off the road (I was lucky enough to be at their last-ever show in LA). But against all odds, AC/DC returned in 2020, and they were as thunderstruck as ever - with a new album that was exactly what any fan would want. "Witch's Spell" was, to me, the standout - a hard-driving rocker with a hint of supernatural menace. Inject it into my veins, baby.


3.) Miley Cyrus (with Billy Idol) - "Night Crawling"

- Miley is no ordinary pop princess - she knows how to turn out genuine rock bangers, and her latest album has a few of them. But to me, the one that hit the hardest was her retrowave, synth-filled, fist-pumping song "Night Crawling" - a collaboration with 80's icon Billy Idol. The song could stand proudly next to other 80's Idol classics, prompting listeners to let out a rebel yell due to its sheer retro awesomeness.


4.) Tom Petty - "California"

- I was devastated by the death of one my my true rock n' roll heroes, Tom Petty, back in 2017. I was at his final concert - an incredible show held at the Hollywood Bowl only days before his passing. It was a death that hit me hard - Petty's music had particular meaning to me, and I always looked forward to buying new Tom Petty albums. In 2020 though, we got one last collection of new Petty songs - as part of the Wildflowers & All The Rest album reissue, which included a whole batch of unreleased songs from the archives. "California" was the one that spoke to me - as a California transplant, the lyrics hit home - "California's been good to me." It was good to Tom, and it's been pretty good to me too.


5.) Paul McCartney - "Find My Way"

- A late-in-the-year treat, Paul McCartney's latest solo album featured a song, "Find My Way," that felt like the perfect song with which to end 2020 and head towards (hopefully) a new and better year ahead. Yes, in this upbeat rocker, Sir Paul promises to guide us towards that light at the end of the tunnel. With blaring horns and crunchy Queen-like guitars, this song acknowledges the anxieties of the pandemic era while also offering to lift us up towards good times to come.


6.) Foxy Shazam - "Dreamer"

- After a seeming breakup and long hiatus, Foxy Shazam returned in 2020, and thank the lord for that. At one point, I was convinced that Foxy was destined to be the next big thing in rock - a band that seemed to channel both the majesty of Queen and also the unhinged energy of Iggy Pop. "Dreamer" is a great song from their comeback album - a slowly-escalating power-ballad that, eventually, erupts into a glorious explosion of rock. Welcome back.


7.) Alice Cooper - "Don't Give Up"

- Perhaps Alice Cooper was an unlikely candidate to provide an inspirational, motivational pandemic anthem - and yet, as a devoted fan of the legendary shock-rocker, I know well that he's an incredibly versatile musician who can do just about anything. "Don't Give Up" has a 90's grunge sort of sound - complete with spoken-word interludes in between its hard-driving chorus. Cheesy? Maybe. Awesome? Hell yeah. Released back in May, hearing Alice Cooper's distinct voice telling us "don't give up" was just the rallying cry I needed.


8.) The Pretty Reckless - "Death By Rock And Roll"

- The Pretty Reckless at their best create music that rocks like some femme fatale version of Guns n' Roses. One of their new 2020 songs, "Death By Rock And Roll," channels that classic brand of GnR sleaze-rock to great effect, augmented by Taylor Momsen's powerful pipes. Come for the kick-ass rock, stay for the cheeky Gossip Girl reference in the song's opening line.


9.) Dead Sara - "Hands Up"

- Dead Sara is one of the best rock bands of the last twenty years, and they delivered some new rock n' roll goodness this year - with another album that went hard against bigots, fascists, and Trump himself. This was the kind of rage-against-the-machine rock we needed desperately in 2020. And few frontwomen can growl out lyrics like singer Emily Armstrong.


10.) Weezer - "Beginning of the End"

- 2020 saw a new Bill & Ted movie, and thus it also needed a new catchy rock song to go along with this new most-excellent adventure (after all, let us not forget that Bogus Journey gave us the KISS classic "God Gave Rock & Roll to Us"). This new Weezer jam from the Bill & Ted soundtrack is a catchy bit of retro guitar rock - fitting with the classic-rock tone that seems to characterize the band's upcoming and long-delayed album Van Weezer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment